This post is my answer to all her queries and 10 things to know about raw banana powder porridge. The raw banana powder is also known as ethakaya podi, ethakka podi or pachakaya podi.
10 Frequently Asked Questions About Raw Banana Powder Porridge:
1. How can I use raw banana powder?
Raw banana powder can be used to make porridge for baby .
For babies under 1 year old, you can prepare porridge in boiling water. For one year plus baby, milk can be used preferably cow or buffalo milk. For those who use formula for their baby, it can be used in the porridge.
2. Can I use it for my 6 month old baby ?
In fact in Kerala it is considered as the first food for a baby. But it would be great if you introduce vegetable, fruit purees and then start with raw banana powder porridge.
Make sure you start making this porridge initially with water, if your baby is exclusively breastfed. For 1 year+ toddlers, cow’s milk can be added.
3. How do I make raw banana powder porridge?
Sterilise all the bowls and spoons used to make and feed baby food. Wash your hands.
Add 2 tablespoons of raw banana powder in 1 cup of water or milk.
Stir in the powder so that it do not form lumps. When the powder dissolves completely in the milk or water , switch on the gas stove.
Stir in medium flame until the porridge is cooked. Add jaggery to it and stir until it is melted. Switch off the stove and add a teaspoon of ghee to it.
Once cooled a bit, can be fed to the baby.
- Raw Banana Powder - 2 tablespoon
- Jaggery - 2 teaspoon or ¼ of a solid jaggery piece
- Water or Milk - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Mix raw banana powder with milk / water until it dissolves
- Switch on the stove and heat the mixture on medium flame
- Once it starts cooking add jaggery to it
- Switch off the gas and add ghee
2. You can add palm sugar also instead of jaggery
3. Formula milk can be added instead of boiling water if required
If the porridge starts coming off from the sides of the pan in which it is cooked, then it means that the porridge is well cooked.
5. What else I can make with raw banana powder?
You can make awesome banana halwa with the raw banana powder. Make the porridge first and keep stirring until it forms a thick paste. Pour it into a greased plate. Cut into squares when cooled. A healthy evening snack or breakfast is ready 🙂
You can also check these 13 kerala banana recipes for babies and kids.
6. Can I buy raw banana powder from the market?
Yes you can. In fact I had given the reviews of Double horse raw banana powder available in market
7. How can I make raw banana powder at home?
You can refer to the post for it here
8. What are the benefits of raw banana powder?
Raw banana powder is power packed with carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins. It is a source of energy required for babies, toddlers and even adults.
9. How good is using raw banana powder as compared to using normal yellow bananas?
Normal yellow bananas might cause cold and cough if used in winter. They contain more carotenoids, which is converted to Vitamin A by our body.
Kerala Bananas are rich in carotenoids and can be taken even in winters. Raw banana powder is made from Kerala bananas. So all good qualities incorporated into one I can say :).
Raw banana powder when combined with milk and ghee helps a baby to put on weight. You can also read the 15 foods for weight gain in babies and kids.
10. When all can I give raw banana porridge to my baby?
Anytime you want. But I prefer it for breakfast, as it makes an excellent filling breakfast item for my daughter. Its better to give once a day to baby or kid.
Hope I have answered to almost everything with respect to raw banana powder and porridge. If you still have doubts, please feel free to ask me in comments.