When my baby turned six months, I was all excited to give her solid foods. My pediatrician gave me an overview of how she has to be given foods other than BM. Simple ! Its called Seven Day Rule. You can start with one food other than BM in the daytime like lentil soup for lunch instead of BM, while breastfeeding in the morning and night. Continue giving lentil soup in the afternoon for seven days and check for allergies/rashes.
Symptoms of allergy :
- He/she can develop red rashes/spots in her face, mouth,body or bottom.
- Can vomit the food consumed
- May have loose motion
If your baby starts accepting the food introduced,start with the second food. Like diluted apple juice in the morning, lentil soup in the noon and BM at night. Continue this for the next 7 days and gradually increase to 3 foods. All these foods should be given in addition to BM.
1. One food should be introduced at a time
2. Try introducing new foods during the day time , so its easier to check for allergies.
3. Try giving BM when baby demands in addition to the newly introduced foods
4. You can change the seven day rule to four day rule also,once your baby is adapted to the introduced food item.
5. Refrain from starting direct solid foods for your baby like ragi, rice etc.Start with liquids, then to purees,semi solids and then mashed solids .
First foods could be : lentil soup, diluted apple juice, gruel water, barley water, etc
Image : 1
Happy feeding 🙂