During my school and college days , I used to skip my breakfast if it was Sooji/Rava/Semolina upma :(. Upma felt so sticky, boring and sleepy menu for me till I discovered I could make interesting and tasty delicacies with rava/semolina other than upma. This enlightment struck me,when I started research on my baby food recipes 😛
Initially I didn’t give my baby anything with rava as I personally do not like it, but it was my maid who suggested to try out rava porridge in different ways so that I can feed my baby to be happy, full and healthy :). Here is a good healthy recipe for your little star !
Semolina is enriched with Vit E & B, and improves the healthy functioning of kidneys. Carrots are rich in betacarotene, Vit A , minerals, anti oxidants and dietery fiber. Jaggery is rich in iron and ghee provides flexibility to your LO’s body.
FYI. I do not add any milk in the porridges I make, you can add breastmilk or formula if you want. I prepare it in water (Don’t give cow’s milk as a main drink till your baby is 1 year old)
Things Required :
1. Medium carrot ( red or orange ) – 1
2. Rava/Semolina/Sooji – 2 tbsp
3. Jaggery – 1 tsp ( I do not add sugar in my baby food )
4. Ghee – 1/2 tsp
5. Water/BM/Formula milk – 1/2 cup
- Clean and pressure cook carrot until tender
- When cooled, blend it to a puree.Keep it aside
- Roast rava with ghee in a kadai until brown
- Add jaggery, and the carrot puree along with milk/water and keep stirring so that no lumps are formed
- Let the mixture simmer for 1-2 minutes and when it starts separating from the kadai , put off the heat
- Feed your baby with a little warmth. You can get the required consistency for your baby by adding adequate amount of water/milk.
Have you tried this yummy recipe for your baby ? Do share with us 🙂