Entering into the toddler stage means that now your baby has started growing teeth and can finally experience the different flavors and textures of food. The growth of teeth generally begins from six months onwards, which means by reaching the age of one, your baby will get the ability to chew and chomp the crunchy solid food. Now that your baby is ready to say goodbye to the purees and switch to the table food, it becomes necessary for you to know what kind of Indian food will suit your baby’s digestive system.
As a mom, I was relieved when Anshika turned one year old. Want to know why? No more restrictions on her food or milk 😛
The food chart for a 1-year-old baby I am going to share with you is not much different from that of an 11-month-old baby posted here.
Started the below mentioned in her food chart
- Cow’s milk and honey
- Whole eggs
- Cornflakes with milk and chopped nuts
- A pinch of pepper
I have given a sample food chart with various food options.
AFTER WAKING UP
- A glass of whole cream milk
Anshika doesn’t drink a cup of milk as it is, so I add it to her breakfast
BREAKFAST (Opt for anyone mentioned below )
- 1 bowl cornflakes (plain) in 1 cup full cream milk with honey and chopped nuts
- 1 idli / small dosa with coconut chutney (minus chilies)
- 1 cup ragi/suji / broken wheat porridge with full cream milk
- Kerala Banana Mash
- Suji porridge with red carrots, peas, and coconut
- Oats porridge with dates puree
- Suji porridge with carrot puree
- Roti sabji
- Vegetable paratha with curd
MID MORNING SNACK (Opt for anyone mentioned below )
- A fresh fruit or mixed fruits chaat
- 1 cup mixed vegetable soup
- 1 cup tomato soup
- 1 cup fresh fruit juice
LUNCH (Opt for anyone mentioned below )
- Rice kheer
- Fried rice
- Egg/Chicken/fish with rice
- Moong dal khichdi
- Roti in dal/milk/ seasonal vegetable curry made of lauki, methi, etc
- Broccoli cheese mash
- Sweet potato lentil mash
- Dal carrot mash
MID EVENING SNACK (Opt for anyone mentioned below )
- Mixed vegetable cutlet with milk
- Any fruit milkshake or mixed fruits milkshake
- 1 boiled egg ( Read 8 egg recipes for babies and kids here )
DINNER (Opt for anyone mentioned below )
- Roti/paratha with mixed vegetable curry
- Same as lunch ( minus curd )
Here are some simple and amazing recipes from the food chart for a 1-year-old Indian baby:
- Fried apple rings: Fried apple rings is one of the most preferred baby snacks that are very quick to make and tastes sweet and crunchy, which your baby will love to eat. The recipe for making fried apple rings is very simple and includes those ingredients that are easily found in every household. The ingredients for fried apple rings include one apple, ¼ cup of buttermilk, ¼ cup flour, ½ teaspoon sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, ½ beaten egg, and a pinch of salt. Make sure you are not adding much salt.To begin with, take two separate bowls and mix flour, cinnamon, sugar in one bowl while mixing beaten egg and buttermilk in the other and keep both the bowls aside. Then take an apple and cut ¼ inch thick slices leaving the core. Now take the mixtures of both the bowls and mix them. After preparing a thick mixture dip the apple slices in them and fry them in oil.
- Sweet potato lentil mash: It is one of the healthiest foods to give to your baby. To prepare sweet potato lentil mash you will require ingredients such as 1 medium-sized sweet potato, 2 tablespoons of toor dal, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of dry roasted cumin, and 1 cup of water.
To make sweet potato lentil mash first wash the toor dal and sweet potato properly. Take one tablespoon of cumin seeds and dry roast it on a Tawa. Now add all the ingredients such as unpeeled sweet potato, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, and toor dal in a pressure cooker and cook it with water. Once cooked, transfer the food in a blender and add water as required to achieve the desired consistency. Once the puree is ready serve it to your baby.
- Ragi laddu: Ragi laddu is yet another suitable snack for your one-year-old that is rich in Iron and provides health benefits such as improving hemoglobin, which will help your baby prevent several diseases including anemia. The ingredients for ragi laddu include 1 cup of ragi powder, powdered sugar as required and pure ghee, 1 powdered cardamom, and a few finely chopped almonds and cashew.
Its preparation involves heating 250 gms of ghee in a pan and adding ragi into it. Roast for 45 minutes, then add the rest of the ghee, cardamom powder, and dry fruits. Fry for 10 more minutes and keep it aside. After it gets cooled, add powdered sugar and shape them into balls, and ragi laddu is ready.
- Besan paratha: Besan paratha is one of the most balanced diets in the food chart for 1-year-old babies. The ingredients include good quality whole wheat dough, 1/2 cup of chopped onion, 2 tablespoon besan, a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon of coriander powder, chopped coriander, garam masala, and carom seeds each, and 3-4 tablespoon of oil.
Its preparation will require mixing cooked besan, onion, coriander powder, carom seeds, chopped coriander, garam masala, and oil together to make a dough. Then prepare a wheat dough to make chapati and fill it with besan dough. Cook the final dough on a tawa with ghee.
- Kerala banana mash: Kerala banana is also known as Nendran, which offers several advantages for your one-year-old baby. The ingredients required to make Kerala banana mash include ½ Kerala banana, ½ tablespoon of ghee, ½ tablespoon of jaggery, and a half cup of water. The method of preparation involves adding banana and jaggery in a pressure cooker and cooking it for around 2-3 whistles. Once cooled, remove the black lining on the insides of the banana. Now take a fork and blend it well to make a puree. After that take a Kadai and heat ½ tablespoon of ghee in it then add the banana puree and mix them well for 2-3 minutes.
- Plain khichdi: plain khichdi is a meal that best suits the digestive system of your one-year-old baby. The ingredients for making plain khichdi include 2/3 cup of rice, 1/3 cup of toor dal or moong dal, with garlic or heeng, which is optional.
To prepare plain khichdi, wash the rice and dal in water and soak them for half an hour. After draining the water, put ghee in a pressure cooker and cook it with all ingredients pouring 3 cups of water.
- Barley porridge with banana: It is a semi-solid recipe in the baby food chart for 1-year-old. The ingredients for making barley porridge with banana include 1 cup of barley, 1 banana, and 1 cup of water. To prepare it, add barley and water in a pressure cooker and cook it till 5 whistles. Blend it to make it smoother then add chopped banana in the porridge and simmer for 2 minutes.
- French toast: French toast is a quick snack in the baby food chart for 1-year-olds, which includes ingredients such as 2 bread slices, 1 egg, 1 pureed banana, ½ cup of milk, and oil. To prepare French toast, mix the pureed banana and egg with milk and beat to get a runny consistency. Then dip the bread pieces into the mixture and deep fry in oil.
- Broccoli cheese soup: This is one of the most healthy and tasty foods that your baby will love to eat. The ingredients required to make broccoli cheese soup include 1 slice of cheese, 5 florets of broccoli, and half a cup of water. To prepare it, properly wash each floret of broccoli and steam them well with water or cook for one whistle in a pressure cooker. Once cooled, mix steamed broccoli and cheese together along with water and stir it well to make a puree.
Beside all these food recipes, breastfeeding should be given prime importance till the age of one, as breastfeeding helps to protect your baby from every kind of infection and disease.
How to encourage fussy eating toddler?
Now that your baby is ready to enjoy every variety of food from the food chart for a 1-year-old Indian baby. However, a majority of babies go through the fussy eating stage showing tantrums in eating and only picking their favorite food or either refusing to eat at all. There are several tips for parents to encourage their babies to eat. These include:
- Hide your frustration: Spending hours convincing your baby to eat can be frustrating, but it is important to hide your frustration and make the mealtime enjoyable for your baby. Do not forget to praise your child at every bite.
- Introduce your baby to a variety of food: Several varieties of food will make your baby go curious to try them all and make it easier for you to give them a proper meal.
- Let them enjoy mealtime: A meal time with your baby can come with a hell lot of drama and making a mess with the food. It is advisable not to stop your baby and let them enjoy their mealtime and try feeding them a little later.
Feeding tips for a 1-year-old baby
- No one would like the same food for too long, it can make your baby go irritated and turn into a fussy eater. Prefer making a variety of recipes from the food chart for a 1-year-old baby. Toddlers like to taste a variety of food, which will help feed them a proper meal.
- As your baby starts growing teeth, make sure you don’t switch from liquid to solid directly. Your baby might not like the sudden change. Take it slow and feed your child with softer textures in the early stage and jump to semi-solid food, after they start enjoying it, offer them the solid and crunchy food to eat.
- Avoid forcing anything in your child’s mouth. Like other people, they have their likes and dislikes and they may not like a particular food. If they keep refusing a particular food, you try it a few days later but forcing them to eat might make them irritated.
- If you want to feed solid food to your baby, prefer feeding them in the morning or when they wake up from a nap. This is the time when your baby is high on energy and there are chances that they won’t refuse to eat solid foods.
- While going for a variety of food options, make sure you consider well while looking into the options because as per the studies, while going for a variety of food, your child might get allergic to some of them.
- Prefer feeding your baby on a high chair. It will make your baby safe and secure and beneficial for your back too, as your babysitting on a high chair will help you avoid bending for too long.
Additional tips for the baby food chart for 1-year-old
Here are some helpful tips for feeding your baby. These include:
- The home-cooked food is the best food for your 1-year-old. It includes all the nutrients that your child will need during his/her growing age. Avoid giving them processed and outside food often. Outside food should be given very rarely as it can increase the risk of stomach infections and other problems. Make them habitual of eating home-cooked food.
- Encourage self-feeding for your child by offering them finger foods. For more help, prefer eating along with them to teach them how good the food is and to teach them the eating manners. Avoid forcing food to your babies, it can end up making them fussier.
- Move slowly with changing the texture of the food you give your baby. First, switch from purees to semi-solid food then slowly start them giving the solid and crunchy food. Keep changing the food texture or else they will get used to that consistency. Cooked and mashed food are best to be given to your one-year-old.
- Avoid giving hard food to your babies such as peanuts, almonds, and cashew nuts, as your baby teeth are not so strong at the age of one year. Prefer offering them such hard food after the age of 3 years. You can offer your baby the powdered form of peanuts and other nuts mixed in a porridge.
- Make sure you do not add much sugar to your child’s food. More sugar may prove harmful to your baby’s health. Prefer adding only one teaspoon of sugar in milk and use jaggery as a sweetener in cereals and porridge.
These were the tips and tricks of feeding your one-year-old with the best food recipes. Visit BumpsnBaby for more details and let us know in the comment section about the feeding experience with your baby.