Have you read the post on why biscuits should be discouraged for babies and toddlers? Well today I am sharing with you whole wheat home made biscuits for toddlers using wheat flour and flax seeds .
Good thing about baking your own cookies/biscuits is that you know the ingredients and one is assured that these are safe for the kids.
I often bake for my little ones and give them these cookies as a tea time snack.
I also carry these cookies as munchies whenever we go out say for shopping or a long drive. You can also read the 20 healthy on the go snacking options for toddlers.
When I baked these biscuits/cookies for the first time, my in-laws felt very nostalgic.
They told me that their parent used to take atta, ghee, sugar and milk to a local baker and get back biscuits tasting similar to these atta cookies.
Make Whole Wheat Home Made Biscuits for Toddlers Within Minutes:
The cookie/ biscuit recipe shared today also has ‘flax seeds‘ which we all know are very nutritious.
Flax seeds are very difficult to eat as it is. I have added them in powdered form as well as decoration.
My one year old daughter just loved the flax seeds on the top. My son loved dunking the cookies in a hot cup of milk 🙂
These home made cookies can be served to toddlers over one year of age.
So let just dunk ourselves into this simple recipe.
This recipe needs very less preparation time of 10 minutes and cooking time (including baking) of about 20 minutes. Hence lets see how we can make home made whole wheat flour cookies within 30 minutes flat!
Method To Prepare Whole Wheat Cookies At Home:
- Wheat flour/atta -1 cup
- Baking powder -1 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Ghee - ½ cup (at room temperature)
- Powdered sugar -1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder -1/4 tsp
- Milk - 2 tbsp
- Flax seed – 1 tbsp powdered and 1 tbsp whole
- Sieve together wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Preheat the oven at 170 degree C for 10 minutes.
- Grease your baking tray with a little butter or oil.
- Add the ghee & Flax seed powder to the wheat flour mix
- Mix well with your fingers until ghee blends well with the flour and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Add powdered sugar, cardamom powder and mix well with your fingers.
- Add cold milk (only as much as you need to make a dough) and make a smooth dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15- 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls.
- Flatten each ball slightly with the help of your palms and place on the prepared tray.
- On each flattened ball, sprinkle a few flax seeds and press them so that they stick to the ball.
- Bake in a preheat oven for 15 minutes or until cookies start browning on the edges.
- Remove from tray and leave it to cool.
Sieve together wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Add ghee & flax seed powder to the whole wheat flour mix.
Mix well with your fingers until ghee blends well with the flour and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add powdered sugar, cardamom powder and mix well with your fingers.
Add cold milk and make a smooth dough and refrigerate for 15- 20 minutes.
Divide the dough into 12 balls.
Flatten each ball slightly with the help of your palms and place on the prepared tray. On each flattened ball, sprinkle a few flax seeds and press them so that they stick to the ball.
Bake in a preheat oven for 15 minutes or until cookies start browning on the edges. Remove from tray and leave it to cool.
How to store these whole wheat (atta) home made biscuits or cookies?
Store them in an airtight container. They store up well for two weeks.
Trust me you will bake your next batch before that 🙂
You can also try to make these biscuits in different shapes or sizes.
To do that just roll out the dough evenly (It should neither be too thin nor too thick). Using a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter or bottle lid, cut it into desired shapes & bake.
Hope you enjoyed the recipe of whole wheat home made biscuits for toddlers and kids.
You can try other versions of these cookies too.
Please share this article in your Facebook and twitter profiles.
Please subscribe to the newsletters of Bumps n Baby to stay updated.