Yesterday when my husband called me from the grocery store and asked me if he would buy sweet potatoes for daughter , I had a quick recipe that came to my mind ; Sweet Potato Dal Mash or Sweet Potato Lentil Mash ! I was pressure cooking toor dal then for making dal fry . So I thought why I can’t mix both and make an awesome and wholesome dish for Anshika ?
Sweet Potato is considered to be one of the healthiest foods in the world . Amazing isn’t ? It is rich in beta carotene, calcium , potassium, folate and dietary fibre. Toor dal / Pigeon pea contains proteins and essential amino acids.
Sweet potato and toor dal could lead to gas in babies and adults. So here I have added 1 small pinch of dry roasted jeera/ cumin seeds to curb the gas. What are we waiting for ? Lets jump to the recipe.
- Sweet Potato - 1 medium
- Toor Dal / Pigeon Pea - 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
- Water - 1 cup
- Dry roasted/whole cumin - 1 tsp
- Wash sweet potato and toor dal well
- Dry roast 1 tsp of cumin seeds on a tawa and keep it aside
- Pressure cook the unpeeled sweet potato, turmeric powder , cumin seeds and toor dal with water till it is thoroughly cooked
- Puree it in a blender once done
- Add water as required to achieve the required consistency for your baby / kid.
As its navaratri time, I am sure sweet potatoes are available . Please try out this recipe and let me know how your lil one responds to it.
Latest posts by Sangeetha Menon (see all)
- Preserve Every Moment of Your Baby with Photojaanic - November 12, 2014
- Ensure Online Safety of Your Child with Ekavach App - November 10, 2014
- 10 Little Known Tactics To Make a Fussy Eater Eat Properly - November 4, 2014