This can be prepared in a jiffy and does not require any planning. The ingredients used are simple ones readily available in the pantry.
Health benefits of tomatoes:
Tomatoes can be eaten as it is, in salads or in any of the dishes. They are great for our overall health.
The health benefits of tomatoes are as follows.
- Excellent source of Vitamins and Potassium
- Vitamin A present in tomatoes helps to improve eyesight
- Helps to improve digestion
- Prevents constipation
- Helps to remove toxins from the body
- Protects against cardiovascular disease
Tomato dosa for babies, toddlers and kids:
Tomato dosa is an instant dosa which requires no fermentation and is quite flavorful. As tomatoes impart a very good color, these can be very appealing in your kid’s lunch box too.
This instant dosa can be given to babies of 10 months and above by omitting the red chilly powder in the batter. The main ingredients of this tomato dosa are rice and tomatoes.
In this recipe I have used dosa batter. You can also grind raw rice and then make dosas without worrying of soaking, grinding and fermenting of the batter.
Though this thakkali dosa can be eaten as such, it tastes even better with coconut chutney or sambar. My son enjoys it with sambar.
Tomato dosa recipe – preparation method:
Blend the chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, jeera and salt into a puree. Add this into the dosa batter and mix well.
Heat a dosa tawa with butter or oil. Pour a ladle of batter and spread into a dosa.
Flip onto the other side after 2 minutes. Tomato dosa is ready to be served with coconut chutney, sambar or vegetable curry.
- Dosa batter: 1 cup
- Tomato - 1 chopped
- Jeera - ½ teaspoon
- Red chilly powder - ½ teaspoon
- Oil /butter - as needed
- Salt to taste
- Chop tomatoes into pieces.
- In a blender add in tomatoes, red chili powder, jeera and grind it into smooth puree.
- Add this mixture into the batter.
- Grease a non stick pan with ghee, oil or butter.
- Take a ladle full of batter and spread it in circular motion.
- After 2 minutes flip the dosa on the other side and cook both the sides.
- Tomato dosa is ready. Serve with chutney of your choice, sambar or any vegetable curry
- Rice flour can also be used for making dosa
- You can also use whole red chilly or pepper to spice up this tomato dosa.
- Finely chopped onion can also be used
- You can add grated ginger and chopped coriander leaves while grinding too
- Cumin powder can also be used
- Always cook the dosa on a medium flame
- You can first sauté the tomatoes, grind it and then can be added in to the batter as well
- You could refrigerate the left over batter for later use.
Hope you liked my tomato dosa recipe. Do try it out at home.
Do you make tomato dosa at home? Is there any variation to the instant tomato dosa you make? Share with me in comments.