Today I bring to you the traditional Holi thandai recipe for toddlers and kids customized as per their taste buds.
Festival of colors ‘Holi’ is here. I am sure you have purchased nice pichkaris or water guns for your little ones and have armed yourselves with bright colors.
Let us serve a very healthy and traditional drink to our toddlers Thandai or Sardai this Holi. It will be a good break from ice-cream, milkshakes and cold coffees for our young customers.
Traditionally thandai is spiced up a bit with dry ginger and black pepper. The thandai recipe for toddlers and kids here today is customized for young children and does not include spicy ingredients.
Health benefits of thandai for toddlers and kids:
Thandai literally means something that lowers the temperature or cools. Thandai can be served along with breakfast or as a mid morning or evening drink. Suggest you to avoid giving it at night.
- Boosts immunity:
Almonds, fennel and poppy seeds are rich in antioxidants. Poppy seeds or khuskhus, a very good source of zinc helps in strengthening the immune system.
- Aids in digestion:
Fennel and cardamom helps to ensure a smooth digestion.
- Powerhouse of Calcium:
Milk and almonds are fantastic sources of Calcium, required for healthy bones and teeth.
- Enhances brain function:
Almonds are considered as brain food as they help in growth and repair of brain cells. Poppy seeds also are very good for brain as they are rich in iron, copper and zinc. Both help in the regulation of neurotransmitters and development of neurons.
Thandai recipe for toddlers and kids – preparation:
Soak almonds for 4 to 6 hours. Poppy seeds and fennel has to be separately soaked for 2 hours.
Make a creamy paste by blending soaked almonds, poppy seeds and fennel with water. Add sugar, cardamom powder, required water and blend again.
Sieve to get the creamy liquid. Use the leftover paste and blend with water again to get the maximum essence of thandai. Add milk and have a final blend.
Garnish with pistachio slices and ice. Thandai is ready to be served.
- Milk – 3 Cup
- Sugar – ¾ cup (can be increased based on taste)
- Fennel seeds or Saunf – 1 tablespoon
- Poppy Seeds / Khuskhus - 2 tablespoon
- Almonds – 20 (approximately ½ Cup)
- Cardamom powder – 2 teaspoon
- Water – 2 Cups
- Pistachio (sliced) – 5 to 6 for decoration
- Soak almonds in filtered water for 4-6 hours
- Soak poppy seeds and fennel separately for a minimum of 2 hours
- Blend the soaked almonds, poppy seeds and fennel into a paste. You can add up to half cup of water. We need to get a creamy mix.
- Add 1 cup of water, sugar, cardamom powder and blend again .
- Using a fine cloth or strainer, strain the thandai mix. Thandai mix is ready.
- Return the leftover paste to the grinder and blend again with remaining ½ cup of water
- Repeat step #6 and extract the mix. Add it to the thandai mix.
- Add milk to the thandai mix and blend. Ice can be added (Optional )
- Thandai is ready . Decorate with Pistachio slices / Saffron
- The intake of thandai should be limited (say one cup per person)
- Do not throw the leftover paste, it can be used for making gravies
- Black pepper powder (1 pinch per cup) and dry ginger powder (1 pinch per cup) can be added for adults
- Thandai mix (without the milk) can be refrigerated for 3 days
- One can also decorate the thandai with rose petals and saffron
Do try this thandai recipe for toddlers and kids this Holi and share with me in comments the response.
Kindly share this article in Facebook and Twitter. You can pin the images in Pinterest too.