Is your kiddo bored of eating upma, sheera and porridge made of semolina?
What if I tell you that I have the perfect way of sneaking semolina into your child’s diet? You can do so in the form of a cake, that too a moist, eggless chocolate version.
Yes, I present to you a chocolate sooji cake or semolina cake recipe for kids.
Highlights of chocolate semolina cake recipe:
To begin with I can say that this recipe is an eggless sooji cake that can be made with ingredients available in your pantry. It is loaded with the goodness of dry fruits in it.
The best part of this cake is that there is no maida used in it. I have used wheat flour instead, which is completely healthy.
This is one of my favorite recipes that I have baked as I love the texture of the cake. While retaining the moistness, crispiness of this cake due to the semolina is so good and tasty.
The mega bonus – kids will love it 🙂
Benefits of semolina or rava for kids and adults:
Semolina is a power grain packed with many health benefits, let us look at what they are:
- Good for diabetes
- Provides great energy
- Helps to make you feel full longer and prevents you from over eating
- Good source of vitamins E and B that are very essential for immunity
Eggless chocolate semolina cake recipe for kids:
Let’s see how to make semolina cake, my way.
It is very easy to bake as you don’t have to worry that the cake will be dense. It will not crumble or sink either.
Let us go through the step by step pics of this rava cake recipe.
Sieve together wheat flour, semolina, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
Mix powdered sugar, oil and yogurt and whisk till there are no lumps.
Mix the dry and wet mixture together till a batter like consistency is achieved. If the batter is too thick, add milk or else omit adding it.
Microwave this mixture in the microwave bowl for 6 minutes or bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven (preheat for 10 minutes).
Allow it to cool before serving. Garnish with cashew nuts and almonds.
- Semolina: 1 cup
- Wheat flour: ½ cup
- Baking soda: ½ teaspoon
- Baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt: ½ cup
- Olive Oil: ½ cup
- Cocoa powder: ⅓ cup
- Vanilla extract : ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Powdered sugar: 1 cup (adjust as per sweetness)
- Milk: ¼ cup
- Salt: a pinch
- Tutti fruity or dry fruits: as needed
- In a bowl sieve wheat flour, semolina, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and keep aside.
- In a bowl add oil, yogurt and powdered sugar. Mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Add the semolina, wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder cocoa powder into the oil and yogurt mixture and give it a good mix.
- Add milk if the batter is too thick or else you can omit it
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the batter for 6 minutes and yummy cake is ready.
- To bake the cake in an oven, preheat the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Insert a tooth pick and check if it comes out clean.
- Garnish with nuts of your choice.
- You can skip the cocoa powder, and prepare a normal cake. Rest of the batter remains the same.
- Tutti fruity and dry fruits can be added to the batter.
- Cardamom or elaichi powder can be added to the batter.
- You can bake this cake in pressure cooker too.
- This cake stays in fridge up to one week, just store in an airtight container.
- Sugar can be replaced with jaggery.
- You can use butter or ghee along with the wet mixture to add to the richness of this cake
A simple and yummy cake a treat for your kids and family is ready.
Do try this semolina cake recipe at home and add this to your kid’s favorite dishes. Let me know in comments how it turned out for you.
Happy baking 🙂