Today in this post I have written about how to make kaachiya enna or Velichenna kaachiyathu or heated oil for toddlers.
Blogging from my hometown has its own pros and cons. The internet connection has been driving me crazy thanks to the pathetic poor network.
Anshika needs to be looked after/monitored all the time, as she could go near the well, play with the dog or even go out in the rain. In between all these my blogging shrinks. Obviously nothing like the home-made food by my Amma and the traditional Kerala or ’Mallu’ nushkas on anything related to baby and motherhood.
‘Kaacchiya enna’ or rather ‘heated hair oil’ was made by Amma when Anshika developed cold and cough. This medicated / herbal oil can be used by adults too and can be made easily. Amma made the oil while I took photos and the method from her.
Coconut oil forms the base of this kaacchiya enna. This oil has a mild fragrance and a light yellowish tint. The ingredients used are peppercorns, tulsi, deseeded red chiily’s skin , rice, jeera/ cumin seeds, stem of the betel leaf, moringa leaves etc. Its said that kaachiya enna or medicated oil helps to recover from cold and cough quickly as it supposed to absorb the moisture from the scalp or head.
Coconut oil makes your hair soft as it’s a natural hair conditioner . Tulsi helps to fight off dandruff, absorbs moisture and promises a healthy scalp . Red chilly skin provides the peppery heat which induces secretions that help to clear out nasal and sinus congestion. It helps to clear the mucus from stuffed nose or congested lungs. Cumin dries up mucus. Pepper corns act as nasal or throat soother. Betel leaf stem is supposed to absorb moisture or “neeru” from scalp as its called in malayalam.
Kacchiya enna or medicated herbal oil can be used for toddlers above 1 year. Amma says this oil can be used till one reaches 60. It should be used only on baby’s hair not face or body.
Lets see how to make kaacchiya enna in detail.
HOW TO MAKE KAACCHIYA ENNA OR VELICHENNA KAACCHIYADU FOR TODDLERS AND KIDS ?
- Peppercorns – 2 to 3
- Cumin/ Jeera seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Tulsi leaves – 3 to 5
- Moringa leaves – 2 to 3 stem with leaves
- Coconut oil – 1 cup
- Betel leaf stem - 1
- Take coconut oil in a kadai
- Keep the heat on medium and let the oil heat up a bit (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add rice first and when the raw smell goes off add peppercorns , jeera and the deseeded red chilly skin
- Finally add the moringa, tulsi leaves, betel stem and switch off the heat when it wilts.
- Let the oil cool down completely.
- Sieve the oil into a dry air tight bottle
2. You can also opt for virgin coconut oil
3. The oil should not smoke under any circumstances. You know the kaachiya enna is ready when the leaves wilt . Switch off the gas soon
4. Here I have not used betel leaf stem