As the winter here got very harsh,my baby got cold and cough. She started rejecting skewed apple juice and lentil soup and spat out every spoon I fed her. I grew more and more tensed as I knew BM alone cannot give her all the nutrients needed by her body specially iron from her 6th month. Her pediatrician insisted that I should be giving her liquids though its 2-3 tsps (not to force her though) in addition to breatstmilk.
I started thinking of changing her patern a bit. Just to try, I bought a bunch of spinach leaves,washed it thoroughly and made a spinach soup/puree. Oh my my! I could see my baby smacking her lips to the new taste and gulping it with out any drama ; just with a satisfactory ‘ oooommmmmm ‘ sound while gulping ! 🙂
Spinach is rich in iron,calcium,Vit A,C,E,K,B2, B6, phosphorous,protein,folic acid ,omega-3 fatty acids, and other antioxidants as well.
Here is the recipe that was very well received by my lil one’s taste buds!
- Spinach leaves,cleaned and chopped – 1 cup
- Potato/baby potato – 1/4 of a large potato (or) a baby potato
- Garlic- half a clove
- Jeera/Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- salt- a pinch (optional)
- plain drinking water – 1/2 cup
How to prepare Palak or Spinach soup ?
1.Wash and clean the spinach leaves,and chop it roughly.
2. Pressure cook the leaves with the garlic clove, potato and jeera/cumin for about 1-2 whistles with half a cup of water.
3. Once the mixture cools off, discard the garlic clove ( it will be floating in the side of the cooker) and puree the mixture using a blender/ mixie . Save the remaining water in the pressure cooker.
4. Sieve the mixture to get the spinach puree . Add the remaining water to get the desired consistency.
5. Add a pinch of salt to the puree/ soup. Its purely optional as my baby accepts it even w/o salt as there is salt content in spinach leaves.
Check for the warmth by pouring a drop on your wrist and you can feed this soup to the baby with a little warmth or this is ready to be packed in your baby’s lunch bag.
You can read about the daily schedule of my life here.
Note : Always consult a ped before giving spinach or any other solids to your little one
Check if spinach is allergic to your baby before including it in her routine
Don’t give BM right after / before giving this soup as it might upset her/his tummy
What is your little one’s favourite food ? Do share ! 🙂