You might have read about the amazing benefits of moringa during pregnancy and lactation. In today’s post I am sharing with you a recipe drumstick leaves or moringa leaves stir fry for increasing breast milk supply in new moms.
You must have already read my article about my struggles with breastfeeding my little one. In that post I have mentioned about my low breast milk supply.
Low milk supply is a problem faced by most of the new moms for the first few weeks post delivery.
I ate moringa or drumstick leaves daily to tackle the problem of low milk supply and with in few days I started to produce enough breast milk for my little one.
So through this post I am sharing with you the recipe for drumstick leaves stir-fry that can be included as a part of your prenatal and post natal diet.
Benefits of drumstick leaves/moringa leaves:
Moringa/drumstick leaves are powerhouse of nutrients. They are a significant source of vitamins like B, C, K, and A.
They have good amounts of manganese, potassium, proteins and other essential nutrients as well. Calcium is present in amble amounts in drumstick leaves.
Moringa leaves helps to increase lactation/breast milk supply in new moms. You can also read about the 15 super foods that help in lactation.
Due to its fiber content moringa leaves also help in reducing constipation that is yet another common problem during your pre and post delivery period.
Due to its high calcium content drumstick leaves are taken by pregnant ladies to avoid calcium deficiency.
It is also said to ease labor pain and reduce complications that can occur after delivery. Also consuming moringa leaves reduces the sluggishness of the uterus post delivery. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and antibacterial properties.
According to Ayurveda, moringa leaves can cure around 300 diseases.
After reading all these health benefits of drumstick leaves, you must have already made up your mind to include this highly nutritious and beneficial leaf in your diet.
Here is a moringa leaf-coconut stir-fry recipe that I took as part of my postpartum diet to increase milk supply.
Moringa or drumstick leaves stir fry recipe for increasing lactation:
In a pan with a little oil, splutter mustard seeds. Add moringa leaves, salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder and close it for 1 minute.
Stir for a few minutes further by opening the lid. Once cooked, add fresh grated coconut and stir well.
- Moringa leaves- 2 cups
- Grated coconut - ½ Cup
- Mustard seeds - a few
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Pepper powder- to taste
- Turmeric powder- a pinch
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- To this add moringa leaves, salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder.
- Stir well and close it for 1 minute on low flame.
- Open the lid and stir well putting it in medium flame.
- Take care not to overcook the moringa leaves.
- Once the leaves are wilted/cooked add freshly grated coconut and switch of the flame.
- Stir well and serve hot with rice or any of the postnatal food that you are taking. (I used to take it along with my Uluva-kanji (fenugreek-rice porridge) as part of postnatal diet)
- Always choose fresh leaves that are green in color
- Wilted, yellow colored leaves or leaves with black spots should be avoided
- Always wash leaves very well before use
- Do not consume too much of moringa leaves at a time. It can lead to a loose bowel movement
- Make it a point to add turmeric to all kind of leaves while cooking
- Don’t overcook moringa/drumstick leaves. Overcooking can lead to lose of nutrients
- If you want you can add 1-2 garlic or shallots to enhance the flavor
- You can include this recipe as a side dish for your rice
Hope you try the drum stick or moringa leaves stir fry at home. You can give this to your toddlers too.
Have you tried moringa leaves as part of your pre or post natal care? Share with me in comments.