Isn’t your kid too a fan of Doraemon Cartoon characters?
Does he/she pester you to make Dora cake, the favorite food of Doraemon?
Make your little one happy by surprising him with his super hero’s favorite snack. This post brings to you the perfect Dora cake or dorayaki recipe.
Super hero Doraemon and his dora cake:
My son loves watching Doraemon. His fancy character takes him to the world of wishful thinking.
The famous Doraemon cartoon originated from Japan. It is a cute cat robot and blue in color with no ears.
Kids are attracted towards the cute cat because of its color and the amazing magical tools that he takes from its pocket.
I hardly find any logic out of watching cartoons with their greatest fan; may be they imagine themselves to be in their favorite cartoon avatars or may be they find the aliens too fascinating!
Dora cakes are Doraemon’s favorite snack. Dora cake is the Japanese pancake, Dorayaki.
Dorayaki are pancakes named after it’s shape that is a replica of dora (the Japanese name for gong). The fluffy pancakes are like sandwich where a mixture of bean paste is used as the filling.
How to make dorayaki or dora cake?
Finally after a few experiments I nailed the dorayaki recipe that gives the perfect texture. This recipe makes the perfect Dorayaki for kids, as it is light and fluffy.
In the cartoon, dora cake has a filling of red bean paste. But here I have replaced it with nutella or you can use jam of any flavor as per your kid’s choice.
Normally these cakes are prepared using all-purpose flour. However this recipe is for kids, so I replaced it with wheat flour.
Dora cake or Dorayaki recipe – preparation method:
Here is the recipe for healthy Dora or Dorayaki cakes.
Sieve the wheat flour and baking soda. Whisk eggs, honey and powdered and whisk it well to get fluffy cakes. Add milk and vanilla essence, mix well.
Add the wheat flour mixture to the liquid and mix well so that no lumps are formed. Heat a non stick pan, drizzle oil and wipe out the excess oil. Pour the batter from a height to get the perfect fluffy texture.
Flip onto the other side when holes are formed on the surface. Cook both sides on medium flame to get a darker color.
Spread nutella or jam of your choice on one pancake and cover it another pancake. Our healthy dora cakes or dorayaki is ready to be served.
- Wheat flour - 1 cup
- Eggs - 2 kept at room temperature
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Milk - 3 cups for the batter
- Baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla essence - ½ teaspoon
- Oil - for drizzling
- Honey - 1 teaspoon
- Nutella or jam (any flavor) - for the filling
- Sieve wheat flour and baking soda and keep it aside
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, honey and powdered sugar
- Beat it nicely which will give you soft and fluffy cakes
- And milk and vanilla essence in it and mix well
- Add in the wheat flour and mix well so that no lumps are formed
- The batter should not be too runny
- Heat a nonstick pan and drizzle some oil, wipe the excess oil with a tissue paper
- Pour the batter from a little height so that you get a perfect texture
- Once you see some holes in the cakes it is time to flip it to the other side
- Cook till both sides are done. (Mine got darker in color as the stove was on medium heat)
- Apply nutella or jam on one side of the pancake and cover it with the another pancake
- The healthy dora cake is all ready to serve
- You can also make these Dora cake eggless, omit the eggs and continue with other ingredients
- Adjust the quantity of milk as per the consistency required to make a pancake
- Always use a nonstick pan to make these pancakes
- Do cook it on medium low heat so that they don’t turn dark
- Sweeten as per your taste
Simple? You feel like preparing it right away?
Enjoy preparing the lovely dorayakis or easy dora cake. Hope your kids will love these pancakes. You can also refer to the simple blueberry pancake recipe your kids would love.
Have you made Dorayaki before? Is the Dorayaki recipe similar to mine? Share your Dora Cake or Dorayaki making experience with us too.