Editor’s Note : Today’s recipe is broken wheat porridge for babies and kids. Do you like broken wheat ? Personally I don’t like it in the form of upma , but when it is transformed into a yummy nurukku gothambu/ broken wheat payasam, I don’t mind gulping a glass or two :P.
Broken wheat also known as bulgar wheat / daliya /cracked wheat is ideal for weight loss post baby as it is low in calories. But for babies we can make it a wholesome meal by adding whole fat milk , nuts and ghee. Even diabetic and heart patients can have broken wheat as part of their diet. For babies and adults broken wheat helps to reduce gas troubles and constipation.
Today’s post is by Jayalekshmy who is a mom of 1 year old Rithvik . She loves to play with her bub and found out her passion for cooking post her baby 🙂
Over to you Jaya 🙂
BROKEN WHEAT PORRIDGE FOR BABIES AND KIDS
This is one of my one year old baby’s favorite dish. I used to give him this as mid evening snack on alternate days or thrice weekly. Broken wheat porridge is very tasty and nutritious for babies. Suitable for eight months and older kids .
- Broken wheat - 1.5 tbsp (wash and soak in water for two hours before cooking)
- Dates - 2 or 3
- Almonds - 3
- Raisins(can use other dried fruits like apricot, papaya etc)
- Jaggery syrup - as required
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Pressure cook broken wheat ,dates (deseeded),almonds,raisins for three whistles.
- Once pressure is released ,peel off the skin from almonds and grind all the ingredients in a mixie to form a paste.
- In a pan add this paste,if required add the left over water in the cooker.
- Add a little jaggery syrup. Cook in low flame for one or two minutes
- Finally add 1tsp. ghee and switch off .Serve it little warm