Today I bring to you yummy blueberry pancakes using whole wheat flour recipe which is apt for toddlers and kids.
Blueberries are usually not eaten just as they are. The darker their colour, the sweeter they are. It is used to prepare fruit salads, ice-creams, pancakes, muffins, smoothies etc.
Health Benefits of Blueberries:
Blueberries, these tiny fruits are known to be little powerhouses that help you to stay fit and healthy. The health benefits of blueberries are,
- Rich in Vitamin C which helps in fighting urinary tract infections
- Contain antioxidants improving brain health possibly preventing cancer
- Low in fat
- Loaded with dietary fibre to keep you fuller longer
- Excellent source of manganese which plays an important part in bone development
Pancakes are round flat cake often served with fruit toppings, sauce or fillings in European countries.
In India we have variety of pancakes like cheela, dosa, appam, uttappam, malpua etc. European and French pancakes are different from our Indian style pancakes both in preparation method and serving style.
During my visit to Greece, I literally fell in love with their blueberry muffins and pancakes at first sight! I had a whole lot of blueberry muffins and pancakes.
I couldn’t prepare the exact version I had from there but somehow I googled and came out with my own version. Just loved it !!
Blueberry pancakes – preparation method:
Wash and clean blueberries. Mix together wheat flour, salt, jaggery powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk egg with milk and vanilla essence. Add to the flour and mix well.
Add buttermilk or water to get a semi thick batter and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Heat a tawa and apply oil. Pour a ladle of batter and spread to form small round shapes. Put 5 to 8 blueberries on a pancake and cook till it turns brown. Flip the pancake and let it cook for 2 minutes.
Stack pancakes together and serve with honey, chocolate or any sauce of your choice.
- Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- Sugar or Jaggery powder - 3 tablespoon
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Egg – 1
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – ¼ teaspoon
- Blueberry fresh/frozen - ½ cup
- Butter/Oil - 2 tablespoon or less
- Buttermilk or Water - 1.5 cup
- Wash and keep the blueberries aside. If using frozen then thaw it.
- In a bowl take wheat flour, salt, jaggery powder and mix it
- Whisk egg in a separate bowl with 2 tbsp milk and vanilla essence
- Add this to the flour and mix well
- Add buttermilk or water and mix everything well to form a semi thick batter and keep aside closed for 15 to 20 minutes
- Heat a tawa or pan ,apply oil or butter and pour a ladle of batter and spread it lightly into small round shape
- Drop 5-8 blueberries on each pancake and cook on low flame until it becomes brown
- Flip over the pancake and cook for 1-2 min until brown
- Repeat the process with remaining batter
- Stack them , three or four together
- Serve warm pancakes with honey/chocolate sauce/butter anything of your choice as toppings