Chana Masala, Chole Bhature, Chole ki Chutney, Chana-Chaat, Chole Puri…. Is your mouth already salivating??? Mmmm……Monsoon hai yaar, Chatpata khaana to banta hai!! Come lets know in brief about our chanas / chickpeas and what are the benefits of chickpeas for babies.
BENEFITS OF CHICKPEAS FOR BABIES, TODDLERS AND KIDS
What are the different types of chickpeas?
Chickpeas are known by a variety of names. The type of chickpea which is popular is the Kabuli Chana variety – they are big in size, buttery in colour and has a smooth texture.
Whereas desi chana, more known as kala chana is darker in colour, smaller in size and has a rough texture. These are actually the most nutritious variety and hold high content of antioxidants.
What are the benefits of chickpeas?
- Rich source of iron, protein, zinc, folate & manganese.
- Helps in the proper functioning of the body
- Prevent conditions like anemia & weakness
- Improves concentration power
- Boosts hair growth
- Strengthens immune system.
When can I introduce chickpeas to my baby?
Chickpeas, like other legumes, cause painful gas and are not quite as gentle on baby’s developing digestive system like other simple fruits and veggies.
After a consultation with the doctor, chickpeas may be introduced to your baby from 8 months of age.
Chickpeas causes gas, should we ban our babies from it completely?
We can wait till our baby is 8 months old but they provide ample of nutritional benefits which are extremely good for our developing tiny tots. Start little by little, if your baby doesn’t exhibit any discomfort, go ahead.
I am certain you don’t want your baby to fail out on these benefits. In North India – the intake is high, by infants and adults both. This explains that with time and regular consumption, body learns to absorb these foods well and the problems related reduce.
How to feed chickpeas to your baby?
- Chickpeas - ½ a cup
- Ginger / pepper powder/ elaichi powder - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp.
- Salt - as per taste
- water - 2 cups
- Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight. It will enlarge to about three times the original size.
- Add salt, turmeric, a little grated ginger / a pinch of elaichi powder / a pinch of pepper to avoid gas issues
- Pressure-cook on semi-heat approximately for 7-8 whistles (It should be soft enough to enjoy by our babies).
- You can also add Kasuri Methi leaves for the aroma factor
2. MOTHER KNOWS BEST for her baby and baby’s delicate tummy.
If your baby is allergic to soy, lentils or latex or if there is a family history of these allergies then please avoid or doctor’s consultation is advisable.
Chickpeas and other legumes may not be appropriate for babies with G6PD Deficiency (Glucose-6–Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency).
Have you tried chickpeas for your baby, toddler or kid ? I hope you liked this article on the health benefits of chickpeas for babies.
Happy Parenting !!