Have you tried the beetroot carrot soup for your baby? One fine day I tried giving plain beetroot puree to my baby, but she refused to have it even one spoon. I didn’t want to waste the beetroot puree. It was then the idea of making beetroot halwa came to my mind.
I made Beetroot halwa with the puree and it was an instant hit with my daughter who declined the same beetroot puree before. We can’t judge our babies isn’t?. Well let’s see the benefits of beetroot for babies , kids and adults first.
Benefits of Beetroot for Babies and Kids:
- Rich in fiber and prevents constipation
- Decrease blood pressure
- Increases brain activity and development
- Excellent source of folic acid
How to Make Beetroot Halwa for Toddlers and Kids?
Though I have made this beetroot halwa with sugar, you can replace it with jaggery. The thickening agent in this halwa is split yellow moong dal instead of the maida.
Wash and clean a large beetroot. Add split yellow moong dal and pressure cook till its well cooked and mushy. Once cooled mash it well.
Heat ghee in a pan and add the mashed betroot moong dal mix. Add dry fruits powder, sugar and ghee. Mix till the mixture starts coming off the sides of the pan and gets a halwa consistency.
Yummy reddish beetroot halwa is ready to be served!
- Beetroot - 1 big
- Dry fruits powder – 2 teaspoon
- Spilt yellow moong dal – 2 tablespoon
- Ghee - 3 to 4 teaspoons
- Sugar – ½ the amount of beetroot
- Pressure cook both beetroot and moong dal for 5 whistles or till its cooked well. Mash when it is cooled.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the beetroot moong dal mash
- Add dry fruits powder, sugar and ghee
- Once the mixture starts coming off the edges, switch OFF the heat
2. Dry fruits powder is optional