How Asafoetida worked wonders for my daughter’s gas problem ?
“Did Anshika do potty today? She is crying continuously, didn’t sleep today at all, don’t know what happened “ A call from my daughter’s daycare came at around 3 PM to my mobile . I disconnected the call assuring I would reach within 5 minutes.
I reached the daycare to see Anshika lying on the daycare lady (taai’s) legs on the tummy crying. She looked at me and I felt something was wrong with her , some kind of uneasiness with her. Taayi told me that it could be gas , as her tummy has bloated and was tight . Taayi also told me that she has applied asafoetida (hing) made into a paste with water around her navel.
We also analysed what she ate , I got the culprit ; the green peas I had bought the previous day and added in her mixed vegetable soup. So we were 100% sure that the green peas played the role of villain in my daughter’s digestion that day. I took Anshika home and started boiling water with cumin as its works well against gas. To my surprise , before even giving the water , Anshika burped a lot, did potty and the bloatness in her tummy was gone. QUICK !! The asafoetida or hing has worked like magic !!
Asafoetida is also known as Hing / Kayam, used in South Indian and Maharashtrian cuisines . Let me list down the medicinal properties of Asafoetida and how it can be beneficial for babies and kids.
1. Excellent aid in digestion
2. Acts as an Antiflatulent as it prevents the growth of indigenous micro flora in the gut, reducing gas.
3. Hing or Asafeoetida as per Ayurveda balances the kapha and vata doshas of a human body
4. Enhances taste and appetite
5. Excellent relief for colic pain
How can Asafoetida be given to babies and kids?
1. A small pinch of hing or asafoetida mixed with plain water made into a paste can be applied around the navel of the baby (NOT on the navel) in the clockwise direction
2. Small pinch of asafoetida can be mixed with water and heated to a paste like form and apply it around the navel
3. Instead of water , hing can be mixed a small teaspoon of ghee ,heated and made into a paste like form
4. Hing can also be applied by mixing with a tsp. of olive oil and applying the same way as mentioned above
5. If your baby is 8m+ , a pinch of hing mixed in a glass of buttermilk (at room temperature) can be given for quick gas relief.
6. After using any of the steps 1, 2 , 3 or 4 a small cotton wash cloth rubbed on a slight heated tawa can be pressed around the baby’s navel (Please check for heat by pressing on your palm first before applying on baby).
Have you used hing / asafoetida for your baby/ kid’s gas relief ? Pls share the home remedy you had used / use it for your LO.[convertkit form=5036183]