This post is an easy peasy recipe called Rice Bhardi or Rice Kheer. The moment my hubby puts his shirt on in the morning , Anshika starts crying , raising her hands and running to him. She knows its time for her daycare. She is pappa’s girl in the morning and is dropped at the day-care by him. In the evening post my walks and grocery shopping , I pick her up from the day-care.
The daycare is run by a Maharashtrian lady ‘ taayi ‘ as I call her. One thing I often asks her is whether Anshika ate everything I had prepared in the dabbas . Taayi gives me a brief on what Anshika liked , what she struggled to have , for which food she refused to open her mouth etc. This is usually followed by suggestions from her in terms of baby food recipes. This recipe is suggested by her , its called Rice Bhardi / Rice Kheer / Rice Porridge .
Rice is rich in carbs , iron , Vitamin B and protein . Milk is rich in calcium and almonds/ raisins are rich in Vitamin E and antioxidants.
One day back home, I prepared it ; Voila , it was an instant hit with my daughter Now why can’t I share this recipe with you all mommas ? So here I go.
- Rice (Parboiled / white rice like ponni / kolam ) – 2 tbsp.
- Water – 1 cup
- Dates - 2 or 3 deseeded
- Milk – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Almonds soaked overnight and peeled - 2 to 3
- Raisins – 1 tsp. pureed
- Soak rice in water for about 10-15 minutes
- Soak almonds and dates in warm water for 5 minutes. Once cooled blend it to a puree
- Drain and wash the rice and grind it to a smooth paste
- Boil milk and add the blended rice keeping the heat on medium / low
- Keep stirring so that no lumps are formed
- Add the blended puree along with raisin puree to the mixture
- Stir for about 2 minutes and switch off the stove once the mixture starts coming off the sides of the kadai
- Add ghee
2. Suitable for babies from 8th months onwards. Make sure the nuts are properly ground or smoothed to avoid choking
3. You can also make it without milk . Prepare it in plain water and add the dates, nuts puree if your baby is entirely on BM
Have you tried making rice bhardi or rice kheer for your baby ? Please let me know how your little one responds to this one.
Articles To Read Next
Latest posts by Sangeetha Menon (see all)
- Christmas Bauble Using Gems Ball DIY (Step by Step Tutorial) - December 9, 2014
- How HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3545 e-All-in-One Printer Helped Me Increase My Productivity in Blogging? - December 7, 2014
- How Do You Benefit From Waterproof Cochlear Implants? - December 6, 2014