Have you tried rava appe or rava paniyaram recipe?
How to make an instant paniyaram with rava/sooji and vegetables?
What to try something other than the usual upma with the rava in your pantry shelf?
If you have a kid who loves variety in his diet you will for sure be in search of new recipes. On the contrary if you have a picky eater at home, you will be inventing ways to hide vegetables inside yummy dishes to make them have his or her portion of veggies. In both the cases you need to experiment in your kitchen and come out with kid friendly recipes.
Here is a simple instant recipe with rava that can help you sneak in some vegetables in your kids diet and also bring in variety in the menu.
Before I give you the step by step recipe for making this vegetable paniyaram or rava appe, let me first explain to you what rava appe is, about the ingredients used in this recipe and the benefits so that you know why you should try making this recipe for your kid.
What is rava paniyaram / rava appe?
Traditional paniyaram or kuzhi paniyaram is a south Indian dish made by steaming a batter made with urad dal and rice in a paniyaram mold. The batter is same as the idli batter plus some seasonings.
It is also called apple or appam. Appe or appam can be sweet or savory depending on the seasonings and add ons used in the batter.
Rava paniyaram is an instant version of traditional kuzhi paniyaram recipe. Here the batter is made with semolina or rava. Rava appe needs no fermentation like traditional appe batter. So I would give it plus one mark over traditional paniyaram because who doesn’t love anything instant. 🙂
This is a quick breakfast recipe. It can be packed for lunch too and can be had as a snack also. So yep you can have this rava appe whole day. 🙂
Now let us see what are the benefits of semolina or rava that is the main ingredient in this rava appe / rava paniyaram.
Benefits of semolina:
Semolina is a coarse flour of durum wheat. It comprises endosperm (nutritious heart) of wheat grain.
Rava or semolina cooks fast and so finds a place in many instant recipes. It is popularly used in preparing pasta, pudding and breakfast cereals like upma, idli, halwa etc. It makes the best instant energy meals.
Here are some benefits of including rava in your diet.
- Rava is not just protein rich but also is high in complex carbohydrates
- It is rich in potassium and hence good for heart
- Rich in B-Complex vitamins
- Rava is a good source of iron and thus good for anemic people
- Contains selenium, which is used by the body along with other nutrients as an antioxidant
- Semolina contains phosphorus, calcium and magnesium that are all essential for healthy muscles, bones and nerves
- Rava releases energy slowly and so is a very filling food for active kids
- Semolina is good for kidney function due to its potassium content.
So with all the benefits of rava you will be tempted to add more rava or semolina recipes in your families diet. Try the below given rava recipes too.
- How to make Carrot – Rava Porridge for 6 months+ baby?
- Thari Kanji or Rava Porridge for Babies
- Kesari Halwa Recipe or Rava Kesari for Toddlers
- Banana Sheera Recipe for Babies, Toddlers and Kids
Vegetable rava panorama or vegetable rava appe:
To the already healthy rava if we add some vegetables too, no doubt the nutritional value increases. This vegetable rava paniyaram is such a dish that has goodness of vegetables and rava or semolina.
Vegetable rava appe is an easy way to make your kids eat vegetables as he or she will love this recipe even if he /she hates vegetables.
You can add any vegetable of your choice to the rava batter and make this kara paniyaram ( savoury paniyaram) or appam. Here I have used cabbage, as it is one vegetable I find most difficult to feed kids because of its strong flavor. You can add carrots, beetroots, cooked peas, beans or any vegetables.
Try making this recipe with different vegetables and experience the variety of tastes you can bring out in this simple rava recipe.
This vegetable rava appe recipe or kara paniyaram recipe can be given to toddlers and kids above one year.
Step by step vegetable rava paniyaram recipe:
So here goes the instant appe recipe.
Take a bowl and mix curd and rava together. Keep this mixture aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Now chop tomato, onion, cabbage and green chilies to fine pieces. Chop blanched coriander too.
Add all the chopped vegetables to the rava and curd mixture. Add the required amount of salt, red chili powder and chaat masala.
Add a spoonful of fresh cream so that the grease doesn’t allow the balls to stick to the vessel. Mix well.
The consistency shouldn’t be too thin. Add water if the consistency is too dry. Ideally it should be having thick idli batter like consistency.
Now in a hot appe vessel/paniyaram pan, pour 1 to 2 tsp oil. You can omit this if you are using a good nonstick pan. Let the oil heat for few seconds.
Pour a spoonful of batter in each hollow circle of the pan and allow it to cook on medium low flame. Cooking on a medium low flame ensures that the inside doesn’t remain uncooked.
Turn the paniyaram to other side after a minute. Cook both sides. Let both sides turn golden.
Easy vegetable paniyaram is ready to be severed with chutney or sauce.
- Curd - 1 full bowl
- Sooji/Rava - ½ the portion of curd
- Tomato - 1 small
- Onion -1 small
- Cabbage - 4 to 5 tbsp chopped
- Coriander leaves - 3 to 4 tbsp, blanched and chopped
- Green chilli -1 (optional)
- Salt - To taste
- Red chilli powder - a pinch
- Chaat masala - ½ tsp
- Fresh cream/Malai - 1tbsp
- In a bowl, mix curd and rava. Keep this aside for 10-15 minutes
- Finely chop tomato, onion, cabbage, green chilli and blanched coriander
- Add all the vegetable to the rava and curd mixture
- Add salt, red chilli powder and chaat masala
- Add a spoonful of fresh cream
- Mix well. The consistency shouldn’t be too thin or dry. Keep idli batter like consistency.
- In a paniyaram pan, pour 1 to 2 tsp. oil. No need to use oil if using nonstick pan. Let the oil become hot
- Pour a spoonful of mixture into each hole of the paniyaram pan and allow it to cook on medium low flame
- Turn it after a minute
- Let the other side also turn golden
- Again turn it and let the paniyaram turn into golden brown texture from all sides, so that the inside is cooked well
- Once all sides are golden brown the paniyaram is ready.
- Serve with chutney or sauce.
Do try these paniyaram recipes at home and let us know how your kids liked it. Also try making different versions of this quick instant recipe by changing the vegetables.
Share in comments how you liked the recipe.