Today I bring to you a homemade KFC style fried chicken recipe for kids that they will forget the original crunchy KFC one.
Is your little one crazy about KFC?
Looking for the KFC chicken recipe?
Trying to perfect your version of KFC fried chicken recipe?
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) is a fast food chain in US that has become famous for their fried chicken. It is crunchy, crispy on the outside and full of flavor. What makes it even more enticing is the fact that the KFC recipe is a closely guarded secret!
My kiddo and I are big fans of chicken. So I thought why not make some yummy KFC style chicken at home with a desi touch?
I am going to share a better and healthier way to prepare fried chicken at home with available ingredients from your pantry. It took a bit of experimentation but ultimately I chanced upon the world’s best fried chicken batter.
I am dedicating this recipe to all the chicken and KFC lovers.
Step-by-step homemade crunchy KFC style fried chicken recipe:
Take 4 to 5 drum sticks or boneless pieces of chicken. Clean the chicken well under running water and then squeeze and remove all the excess water from the pieces.
To the chicken pieces add 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste and ½ teaspoon of chilli powder, pepper powder and garam masala powder. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and required amount of salt too.
Let the powders coat the chicken well. Keep the marinated chicken aside for 1 to 2 hours. Take two to three tablespoons of oats.
To this oats add in a little chili powder, turmeric, garam masala powder. Adding spice powders to oats is entirely optional. If you want you can also add a little corn flour with oats for coating.
Now before frying beat one egg and 2 tablespoons of milk in a bowl.
Add in a pinch of chili powder, turmeric and garam masala powder also and beat this egg-milk mixture well.
Now heat oil in a deep frying pan.
Dip the marinated chicken in the egg-milk mixture and then roll it in the oats mixture.
Once the oil becomes hot, put this marinated chicken coated in egg-milk mixture and rolled in oats to the hot oil. Fry till both the sides turn brown in color and become crispy.
Once cooked well take the chicken pieces out and drain the pieces on a kitchen tissue.
Homemade fried chicken is ready to surprise your taste buds with mouthwatering flavors. Serve hot with tomato sauce or any sauce.
- For marinating the chicken
- Chicken pieces: 4-5(drum sticks or boneless pieces)
- Ginger Garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder: ½ teaspoon
- Pepper powder: ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: a pinch
- Salt: as needed
- For frying the chicken
- Beaten egg: 1
- Milk: 2 tablespoon
- Corn flour: To coat the chicken (optional)
- Cornflakes or oats: 2 to 3 tablespoon (In the oats mixture add in a little chili powder, turmeric, garam masala powder. Note that adding the spice powders to oats is entirely optional.)
- Clean the chicken well two to three times.
- Remove the excess water and squeeze well.
- For marinating the chicken add the spice powders mentioned under the heading ‘For marinating the chicken’ and keep it aside for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a bowl beat the egg and milk; add in a pinch of chili powder, turmeric and garam masala powder.
- Keep the oats mixture ready.
- You can also add a little corn flour with oats for coating. It is optional.
- Now heat a deep pan and pour oil for frying.
- Dip the chicken in the egg-milk mixture and then roll it in the oats mixture.
- Once the oil becomes hot, fry till both the sides turns brown in color and become crisp.
- Remove the chicken pieces and drain the pieces on a kitchen tissue.
- Repeat for the remaining chicken pieces.
- Lip smacking homemade fried chicken is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or any sauce.
- If oats or cornflakes are not available you can use breadcrumbs too
- Marinate the chicken and keep it for 2 hours so that all the spice powders get absorbed well
- Garlic powder can be used instead of the paste
- Oregano /basil leaves/ chili flakes can be added for extra flavour
- If you are using cornflakes for coating, grind it into a powder and then use it
- When the oil is hot enough drop the chicken and reduce the flame to medium high and fry until done
Try this supertasty Chicken Soup for Babies and Kids and Chicken, Apple and Sweet Potato Mash Recipe for Babies.
I am sure your kiddo will love this crunchy KFC style fried chicken recipe. Do try this at home and let me know how it turned out.