Our daughter fell ill last Sunday as she had a combo of fever , cold , cough and congestion which made her lose weight, tired and weak. I and my husband had been taking care of her day and night , that’s why , I couldn’t write or even think about my blog at that time. 5 days of sleeplessness , worries and tiredness for us !! Thank god , she is recovering and her immunity and energy levels have gone up now !!
Now that she is sleeping , I thought of writing a post on how to tackle fever, cold, cough and congestion in babies and toddlers. All these have been tried and tested on my baby , so there is no harm in trying out for your son/daughter.
- We gave her Calpol syrup prescribed by her doctor every 4-6 hrs and monitored her temperature every 2-3 hours as her temp. kept fluctuating between 99-102 degree Celsius . If the temp. exceeds 102 degrees, you should rush to the hospital for consultation .
- 2-3 drops of saline nasal solution were instilled to her twice a day
- She was breastfed on demand , wasn’t even accepting cooled boiled water
- I tried banana porridge, bananas steamed , she vomited everything ; so I stopped giving those .
- On the third day , I started giving vegetable soups for her , thank lord, she started accepting it
- On the third day , she was taken to hospital for checkup , medicines were prescribed
- For the next few days , she was fed on soups , cooled boiled water and breast milk.
- Slowly started with half a steamed banana and milk
- While sleeping , her head was kept raised with the help of pillows so that she could breathe easily
- Heat a tava and dry roast 5 garlic pods and 2 tsps of ajwain. Once roasted , make a pouch out of it in a clean muslin/ wash cloth. This pouch was warmed , and rubbed on baby’s chest and back when she was sleeping. This helps to dissolve the phlegm accumulated in her chest .
- Water boiled with ajwain can also be given , though my baby didn’t accept it
- Warm drinkable boiled water was given to her to loosen the phlegm thereby reducing chest congestion
- A small piece of ginger and 1 tsp honey was crushed , and the juice was given to her. It helped to cure her sore throat
- I kept vaporizer on in the room with tulsi leaves where she sleeps , so that the moisture helps her to breathe and soften her congested nose
After five days , we bid bye bye to her fever , cold , cough and congestion! Bye Bye germs !!
Do share with us what all you did when your LO had fever.
Latest posts by Sangeetha Menon (see all)
- Preserve Every Moment of Your Baby with Photojaanic - November 12, 2014
- Ensure Online Safety of Your Child with Ekavach App - November 10, 2014
- 10 Little Known Tactics To Make a Fussy Eater Eat Properly - November 4, 2014