Our daughter fell ill last Sunday as she had a combo of fever , cold , cough and congestion which made her lose weight, tired and weak. I and my husband had been taking care of her day and night , that’s why , I couldn’t write or even think about my blog at that time. 5 days of sleeplessness , worries and tiredness for us !! Thank god , she is recovering and her immunity and energy levels have gone up now !!
Now that she is sleeping , I thought of writing a post on how to tackle fever, cold, cough and congestion in babies and toddlers. All these have been tried and tested on my baby , so there is no harm in trying out for your son/daughter.
- We gave her Calpol syrup prescribed by her doctor every 4-6 hrs and monitored her temperature every 2-3 hours as her temp. kept fluctuating between 99-102 degree Celsius . If the temp. exceeds 102 degrees, you should rush to the hospital for consultation .
- 2-3 drops of saline nasal solution were instilled to her twice a day
- She was breastfed on demand , wasn’t even accepting cooled boiled water
- I tried banana porridge, bananas steamed , she vomited everything ; so I stopped giving those .
- On the third day , I started giving vegetable soups for her , thank lord, she started accepting it
- On the third day , she was taken to hospital for checkup , medicines were prescribed
- For the next few days , she was fed on soups , cooled boiled water and breast milk.
- Slowly started with half a steamed banana and milk
- While sleeping , her head was kept raised with the help of pillows so that she could breathe easily
- Heat a tava and dry roast 5 garlic pods and 2 tsps of ajwain. Once roasted , make a pouch out of it in a clean muslin/ wash cloth. This pouch was warmed , and rubbed on baby’s chest and back when she was sleeping. This helps to dissolve the phlegm accumulated in her chest .
- Water boiled with ajwain can also be given , though my baby didn’t accept it
- Warm drinkable boiled water was given to her to loosen the phlegm thereby reducing chest congestion
- A small piece of ginger and 1 tsp honey was crushed , and the juice was given to her. It helped to cure her sore throat
- I kept vaporizer on in the room with tulsi leaves where she sleeps , so that the moisture helps her to breathe and soften her congested nose
After five days , we bid bye bye to her fever , cold , cough and congestion! Bye Bye germs !!
Do share with us what all you did when your LO had fever.
Articles To Read Next
Latest posts by Sangeetha Menon (see all)
- Superbottoms Pocket Diaper: Cloth Diapering Made Easy - December 21, 2014
- Dettol Multi-Use Wipes for You and Your Family - December 20, 2014
- Christmas Bauble Using Gems Ball DIY (Step by Step Tutorial) - December 9, 2014