Carrot halwa is a classic Indian dessert. Today I bring to you a healthy carrot halwa for babies and toddlers within 10 minutes or less.
This Carrot halwa recipe is a quick healthy dessert for your kid as an after-lunch treat or mid-evening snack. It can be fed to your kid without guilt as I have added jaggery here instead of sugar. Even you can satisfy your sweet tooth with this healthy halwa.
Quick and healthy carrot halwa for babies and toddlers:
Carrot halwa or gajar ka halwa is one of the common dessert prepared in my kitchen.
Post baby, my preparation method of carrot halwa changed in two ways. Firstly I substituted jaggery with sugar; secondly I started preparing it in an easier method using pressure cooker.
For babies below 1 year, you can skip the cow’s milk and prepare the halwa in water instead. You can also omit the dry fruits added here. The carrot halwa prepared in the above mentioned way can be given for babies of 7 months and above.
Carrots are rich in beta carotene and Vitamin A. When combined with ghee, milk and dry fruits it is a perfect healthy dish as the sugar is replaced by good old jaggery here in this recipe.
How to make healthier version of carrot halwa for babies, toddlers and kids?
Wash, peel and grate the carrots. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and sauté the grated carrots for 1-2 minutes.
Add milk and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
Once the cooker cools down, open it and add crushed jaggery. Let the heat be on medium until the jaggery melts.
Add the wheat flour which will act as the thickening agent here. Once the mixture is about to thicken add another tablespoon of ghee and stir for another 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile roast cashews and raisins in ghee. Add the dry fruits and cardamom powder. Switch off the flame and serve warm or cool depending upon the requirements.
- Grated carrots - 1 cup (from 2 medium carrots)
- Milk - ¼ cup
- Crushed jaggery - ¼ cup
- Ghee - 2 tablespoon plus for seasoning
- Cashew nuts - 5
- Raisins –a few
- Cardamom powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Wheat flour- 1 tablespoon
- Wash, peel the skin and grate carrots finely using a grater
- Add 1 tablespoon of ghee in pressure cooker and sauté the grated carrots for a minute
- Add milk to the carrots and pressure cook for 2 whistle
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and add crushed jaggery. Continue to cook on low flame till jaggery melts
- Add 1 tablespoon wheat flour and continue to stir until the mixture is thick
- Add a tablespoon of ghee and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes stirring continuously
- Heat little ghee in another pan and fry the raisins and cashews
- Add cashew nuts, raisins, cardamom powder, and extra ghee if you want. Mix well and switch off the stove
- Serve warm or cool it depending upon the requirements
- Get good quality jaggery, so that you can use it without melting and filtering. I just crushed the jaggery block with my chapatti rolling pin or belan
- If using melted jaggery, adjust according to your taste
- Jaggery can be substituted with 2 to 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
Do you make carrot halwa for babies, toddler or kid at home? Try this healthy version of gajar ka halwa and let me know your little one’s response in comments.