Recently when I went to see the pediatrician for my baby’s thrush, I saw my friend, very much pregnant who came for her routine checkup. She had a large baby bump and trust me; she looked gorgeous with her baby fat and flawless complexion.
She seemed cheerful and told me it’s her eighth month. Yesterday when I was online, she pinged me telling she is in her ninth month now. She desperately wishes to know about what I went through in my ninth month and the baby in detail. So I thought of writing down what I experienced then. Here it goes
What My 9th Month of Pregnancy Was Like:
I thought days would run like anything and I would feel energized as I was nearing my due date. But I was completely wrong.
I was deprived of sleep at night and the whole night I kept thinking how my baby would look like, what baby is doing, its health etc… And I kept visiting the loo the entire night. Yeah worst leg cramps!! And it was irritating :P…
During the day time, I broomed and sweeped like anything as the thought of having a caesarean scared me!! Brooming and sweeping gave my back bone and spinal cord a very relaxing exercise.
- 10 weird pregnancy cravings
- Thyroid during pregnancy
- Skin pigmentation during pregnancy – my experience
- How I made 9 months wait a fun time of discoveries
- 10 amazing benefits of Moringa during pregnancy and motherhood
At the same time, my mind was haunted with one question all the time…” tired of waiting!! When will I see my baby? When will I have my delivery? “.
Each day feels like a year, and I stopped counting my days up to my due date as I grew more and more impatient and frustrated.
People around you start asking “Oh the due date is near na? Tummy is low now, be careful, delivery is unpredictable, and anytime the pain would start, bla bla “all these questions starts running a race again in your mind.
You feel happy listening to all these, but the question of ‘When’ remains in your mind deep down.
Scared About Labor Pain in My 9th Month of Pregnancy:
Another thought/query which I wanted to ask everyone who had a kid ‘Hmm…Was your delivery normal or C section? Is the labor pain unbearable? How can I know about the labor pain contractions? Is it like back ache?’.
But then I made up my mind ‘Whatever comes, I should face it!!’
I kept worrying that the frequency of my kid’s kicks has lessened.
- Is it safe to have green tea during pregnancy?
- Why pregnant women should attend ante natal classes?
- 10 movies to watch when you are expecting
- Hospital bag – must haves
I was given a small teaspoon of virgin coconut oil home made by my Amma. It is supposed to induce labour by irritating the bowel which then extends to uterus thereby leading to contractions.
It might help to lubricate my birth canal also thus adding in a smooth delivery. There is no concrete evidence to prove this.
What’s Happening To You in 9th Month of Pregnancy?
• There can be indigestion, heartburn, impatience, swellings, more frequent urination and leg cramps
• Your weight might remain the same or even drop. My weight remained the same towards the end of the ninth month
• Your navel would have protruded
• Back ache can be worsened in this month
• Your gyno would have asked you to come for checkups once a week or once in two weeks. My doc asked me to come once in two weeks and she checked my cervix to check the thinning and softening of uterine wall I guess.
I had a scan to check the well being, growth and position of my baby.
What’s happening to your baby at this time?
• Your darling‘s organs have been finished forming for a long time. Final touch ups would be made now.
• The baby deposits body fat at a rate of nearly 1/2 ounce per day. May be that’s why elders ask you to watch what you eat during the last trimester.
• Your little one should be in head down position
• Baby’s kidneys would be still producing litres of urine everyday
• Baby’s lungs would be secreting surfactants to help them expand during birth
• Kiddos movement would be restricted as the growth is more or less completed
What all you can/should do in this month?
• Sweep and broom your room.
Try to broom if sweeping is not possible with your baby bump. It gives enough relaxation to your back , spinal muscles and bones. Your baby inside would have a ‘in a jhoola’ effect when you broom.
• Get plenty of rest. If your elders don’t allow you to take a nap during noon, ask your doc for advice. My gyno advised me to sleep for 1-2 hrs every noon!!
• Have oily fish in your diet. Have it in a curry rather than fried.
It is beneficial for the brain and nerve development in late pregnancy and for your baby’s birth weight. I had fish curry every alternate day for my lunch
• Take the supplements prescribed by your doctor.
• Try to use the Indian toilet as gives you a squat position ,beneficial for you at the time of delivery
• Be stress free. I know it’s not an acceptable term for you in your 9th month with all that curiosity, tension and impatience, but you can get a relaxing massage from your partner
• Pray well everyday for a few minutes or an hour. It relaxes your mind and body. Garbharakshambika slokam is what I recommend.
• You can take a bath with warm water in the evening or before you get to bed
Have a happy and safe 9th month momma to be !!
Share with us the happy and not so happy moments in your 9th month …
If you liked this article, please feel free to share this in your Facebook and Twitter.
Subscribe to the newsletters of Bumps n Baby to stay updated.
Latest posts by Sangeetha Menon (see all)
- Little Charms To Make Your Little One Feel Special - March 2, 2015
- Increase Appetite in Babies, Toddlers and Kids with 12 Foods - February 24, 2015
- Asus ZenFone 5 Review - February 19, 2015